Flagship hotel taking sustainable lead with 100% renewable energy for heating and water
Brend hotels, the South West’s leading luxury hotel chain have taken a further step in developing their award winning sustainable hotel experience. Adding to a comprehensive sustainability policy and solar PV installations elsewhere in the group, the local and national sustainable award winning hotel chain went live with a 200kw twin heat woodchip boiler that slashes C02 emissions by 70%.
Saunton Sands Hotel complete the £500,000 project that takes advantage of the governments renewable heat incentive scheme this month, with benefits to the company and the local community that include;
• Switch from oil as primary fuel source for the hotel to locally sourced woodchip
• Provision of new energy efficient system including fully automated controls, replacing old equipment which was less than 70% efficient
• Increased operational resilience designed into the new system
• Project used local companies
• Substantial operational savings
• A derelict building and land bought back into use, including the provision of additional parking for guests.
Mr Peter Brend, Director stated:
“ We are thrilled to be leading the way in renewable energy in the hotels industry, we have been working seriously on sustainability since 2006 with a dedicated team and feel this project is the ‘icing on the cake’ . We are very happy with the installation and are already in discussion to roll this project out to other hotels in the group”